Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R V-Spec Tommykaira R-S
• 08/2000 Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R V-Spec Tommykaira R-S
• 76,922kms From new (47,795 miles)
• Japanese Auction Grade 4
• No accident History
• Number 90 of only 100 Official Tommykaira examples produced, and believed to be 1 of 34 R-S models, with the R model production run making up the other 66.
• Worldwide shipping is available and can be delivered to your door almost anywhere in Europe.
• Long/short-term storage options available for U.S customers
• Stock code: HJA288
HJA Presenting in exceptional condition, this Tommykaira R-S is a unicorn of the JDM world and one of just 35 Tommykaira R34s ever produced. Generating some 435bhp from the uprated RB26 DETT, this car is a fabulous look-back at the pinnacle of Japanese tuning houses in their prime.
The car culture in Japan is globally renowned for its passion for modification, enthusiasm for all cars, and unbridled ability to push the boat out. Throughout the 1990s, the tuner culture truly exploded in the Japanese car world with, now infamous, garages, workshops and brands popping up and growing notoriety such as Smokey Nagata’s ‘Top Secret’, Akira Nakai’s ‘RWB’, and brands/factions such as Nismo, Blitz, HKS and others. One of these brands was Tommykaira.
Originally founded in 1986 as Tomita Yume Koujou, Tommykaira is a Japanese car tuning and manufacturing company headquartered in Minami-ku, Kyoto and named after its two founders, Yoshikazu Tomita and Kikuo Kaira. Several of its cars have appeared in both the Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport racing simulation video game series which boosted their popularity and awareness of the brand.
Tommykaira tuned, modified and then re-branded cars as if they were manufactured by the company itself, with the permission of the parent manufacturers, much like the German counterparts of Ruf and Gemballa do with Porsches. A Subaru Impreza was re-branded as Tommykaira M20b, a Nissan 350Z as a Tommykaira Z, and the most notorious JDM car of all, the Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R was offered in three guises, the Tommykaira R, R-S or RZ featuring different levels of aggression, styling and power, the R being entry level, the R-S the mid-range, most balanced option and the RZ the most aggressive.
The R34 GT-R's popularity was rocketed by an appearance in "The Fast and the Furious" franchise that led to an explosion in global popularity for the R34 GT-R. Indeed, the late Paul Walker drove an R34 GT-R in '2 Fast 2 Furious', enhancing its almost cult status. But it was in the 'real' world where the R34 GT-R V-Spec would cement its reputation. Described by Evo Magazine as "A warrior-class performer" in its 2007 road test, where a standard R34 GT-R was pitted against the likes of a McLaren F1, Pagani Zonda, Ferrari F40 and Bugatti Veyron, the GT-R's reputation as a class-act remained intact.
The R33 GT-R was a good car, but many found it to be too bulky in design and too heavy to be a worthy successor to the R32 GT-R, which the R34 sought to rectify, and did so with flying colours. Released with a shorter, sharper design and the performance to match, it’s safe to say the bite truly matches the bark. For a car released in 1999, the R34 came crammed full of technology including a 5.8" LCD multifunction display in the dashboard, showing seven different live readings of engine and vehicle statistics such as boost pressure, oil/water temperature and throttle percentage amongst others.
It arrived with aggressive new styling, a stiffer bodyshell and a reworked version of the bulletproof and highly modifiable RB26DETT twin-turbo, inline-six mated to an all-new Getrag 6-speed gearbox and transfer case. The electronically controlled Super HICAS rear-wheel steering system was retained. Unlike some other performance cars of the 1990s, Nissan did not neglect the braking system and fitted Brembo brakes with 300mm vented discs, although Tommykaira did upgrade these further to match the power increase.
The example offered here is a V-Spec JDM-delivered car and is one of just 522 produced in GV1, Pearl Black, out of a production run of 11,578 cars. Importantly, this was one of the very select cars that Tommykaira got their hands on. Tommykaira built three variations of the R34, the entry level R with 375bhp, the R-S with 435bhp and a host of mechanical upgrades and the hardcore RZ with over 500bhp. Tommykaira upgrades were both mechanical and cosmetic with a view to improving and refining the already outstanding R34 GTR, seeking to make it faster, better to drive and overall improved on both road and track without compromising comfort.
On the mechanical side, we have Nissan’s legendary 2.6-litre twin-turbo engine now producing 435bhp thanks to the Tommykaira upgraded Turbine kit, Tommykaira remapped ECU, stainless-steel Tommykaira exhaust system, uprated radiator, oil cooler, intercooler, and air filter. The driving experience is enhanced with uprated T.K spec Bilstein gas-filled shock absorbers, 25mm lowering springs, upgraded front tension rods, a strut-brace and a twin-plate cutch.
Cosmetically, the R-S model features an exclusive mesh grille, FRP front wings, front bumper, front spoiler, side skirts, rear bumper, rear valance and diffusers, as well as an adjustable alloy GT wing and more Tommykaira emblems than you can shake a stick at. Step foot near this car and you’ll have no doubt who built it and why.
It rides on its original lightweight 19-inch, six-spoke Tommykaira ‘Pro R’ magnesium wheels finished in gold and wrapped in Bridgestone Potenzas all-round, with massive AP Racing six-piston callipers and discs on the front with two-piston callipers on the back, meaning this JDM hero stops as fast as it accelerates.
The interior also saw sympathetic upgrades featuring exclusive Tommykaira sports seats with red embroidered Tommykaira emblems, a black leather-trimmed centre armrest, handbrake grip and steering wheel with red contrast stitching, and light gold trim inserts. Additionally, there are bespoke Tommykaira floor mats, gear knob, foot rest, tinted windows, automatic climate control, a Clarion infotainment system with satellite navigation, a multifunctional display (MFD), electrically adjustable mirrors and a fabulous Tommykaira aluminium faced digital speedometer with a peak torque and a shift light.
The Tommykaira R-S is in excellent condition, having only covered 76,922kms (47,795 miles) and being kept in dry storage when not in use. It has never been exposed to UK salt, ensuring its stunning appearance.
This Nissan Skyline (R34) GT-R V-Spec Tommykaira R-S is an extremely rare Japanese performance icon, offered from long-term ownership and in largely original condition. Boasting a highly desirable Tommykaira-enhanced factory specification, with a powerful twin-turbocharged ‘RB26DETT’ inline-six and instantly recognisable styling, it would make a discerning addition to any assembly of Japanese performance heroes. With the USA market just 1-2 years away for a lot of GT-Rs, it could be an outstandingly smart investment that can also be enjoyed in the meantime.
[Recent Service History]
- Fluid & Filter Services By HJA 2015/2016
- In 2019 Abbey Motorsport major service including changing the timing belt, fitting a custom-made radiator core and a new battery with the invoice totalling £1,951.
- Serviced on 24th August 2022 by Abbey Motorsport costing £827 including all fluids changed and a fresh MOT despite only covering just over 1,000km since its last service.
- Serviced at HJA changed the oil/oil filter, fuel filter and spark plugs on 29/09/2023 at 76,920kms.
- The history file also contains a big section of OEM/OEM+ parts bought from either Nissan directly or from Japan and Authenticity Certificates on the Tommykaira parts as well as the original Tommykaira Sales Brochure. It will be supplied with a custom Tommykaira car cover, jack kit and spare wheel.
[Tomm Kaira R-s factory upgrades]
- Tommy Kaira Spec Turbine kit (N1 base)
- Tommy Kaira ECU programme
- Tommy Kaira Exhaust system
- Tommy Kaira Radiator
- Tommy Kaira alluminium radiator cap
- Tommy Kaira racing type intercooler
- Tommy Kaira Filter
- Tommy Kaira cam cover original cam covers
- Tommy Kaira Ecu rom (Boost up 1.1 bar)
- Tommy Kaira spec Twin plate clutch
- Brakes and suspension:
- Tommy Kaira Strut brace with brake master stopper
- Tommy Kaira Spec Ohlins suspension
- Tommy Kaira optional extra AP 6 pot front brake kit, AP brake Rotors and brake pads
- Tommy Kaira front tension rod pillow ball type
- Tommy Kaira 19” Forged Magnesium Alloy wheels (9.5JJ X19”) (Weight: 9.3kg)
- Tommy Kaira wider Front wings
- Tommy Kaira front Bumper with front diffuser (Generates more downforce and cooling than oem)
- Tommy Kaira adjustable rear wing
- Tommy Kaira Bonnet lip
- Tommy Kaira side diffuser
- Tommy Kaira rear diffuser
- Tommy Kaira badging including chassis build plaque
- Tommy Kaira Electronic dash with built in peak torque and shift meter.
- Tommy Kaira seats and floor mats
- Tommy Kaira Shit knob
- Tommy Kaira foot rest