Mitsubishi Evolution 5 RS “Rally Sport”
• 05/1998 Mitsubishi Evolution 5 RS “Rally Sport”• 27,000km Genuine! (Approx 17k miles)• 1 owner from new• No accident history
• Japanese service history/manuals/Spare key HJA Bring you this outstanding EVO 5 RS “Rally Sport”. This fantastic example has had 1 mature owner from new in Japan, always kept dry stored and only ever used for occasional street driving. The car boasts full service records from new, original manuals and spare key.This being the highly sought-after RS model: RS – "rally sport", these can come from factory with various options- this one in particular has the close-ratio 5-speed and mechanical rear diff, minimal/basic interior, windup windows (More detailed differences are listed below)Back to the car; Bodywork is immaculate and has to be seen to be appreciated with glowing paintwork and crisp lines, It literally looks like something out of Gran Turismo. It’s hard to believe this car was produced in 1998 as it almost looks like its rolled of the production line! All the panels are original and the car has 100% guaranteed no repair history which is exactly what you want with a collector/rare example.As you can see from the underneath pics the chassis is still in amazing condition especially for an Evo 5. Everything still looks pretty oem under there with no major rust issues that unfortunately ruin so many of these cult classics.The Interior is outstanding, it retains the original factory steering wheel/gear knob/gaiters which is a real testament to how well the car has been maintained. The dash is damage-free, all the carpet and plastic trims around the whole car are in fantastic condition.
Sourcing limited edition examples like this is like finding a needle in a hay stack especially in this condition. Overall if you are after a cherished example to enjoy yourself, to be part of a collection or as a great investment look no further.
Optional extras ordered From factory:
- Super cross gear Low, final reduction ratio 4.875
- BREMBO brakes, 17-inch Enkei alloy wheels
- Factory added equipment Projector headlight modification
- RALLIART reinforced engine mount
- RALLIART Reinforced Transmission Mount
Aftermarket parts installed during ownership:
- OHLINS FLAG-R Separate reservoir Type (Overhauled April 2021)
- ATS Front mechanical LSD
- Stock Rear mechanical 1.5way LSD
- SAMCO Silicone Radiator Hose
- Exedy Strengthened clutch (stock style)
- ENDLESS CCG Brake Pads
- ENDLESS Stainless Steel Mesh Brake Pads
- POTENZA RE11A 225-45-17
- RALLIART Shift knob (Genuine item)
A bit more in detail about the Evolution 5 RS and what makes them special:
The Lancer Evolution V RS was stripped down of all unnecessary equipment ready for rally teams to convert into a proper competition car. Items like climate control, alcantara suede seats, alloy wheels, ABS etc, which are not required for rallying, would normally be ditched anyway in favour of higher specification rally items or removed completely to save weight.
The RS gearbox has closer ratios (gears 3,4 & 5) compared to the GSR gearbox for better acceleration. This limits the top speed of the RS model to around 140mph while the 0-60 time is a fraction faster than that of the GSR.
The RS model doesn’t have ABS or Active Yaw Control and the car is generally between 70kg and 100kg lighter [dependent on how the RS is specified - see Technical Specification] due to lighter panels and lightweight window glass.
Cosmetic Differences (RS Model)
- Black door handles and black wing mirrors
- No rear wash wiper
- No front fog lamps, the GSR model has PIAA reflector type fog lamps fitted. The bumper is the same for
both models. The spaces for the fog lamps on the RS are blanked out with covers
- Fitted with 15" steel wheels (optional to have GSR wheels)
- No climate control, electric windows/mirrors and the seats are a more basic bench type
- Only available in Scotia white
- Smaller leather Momo steering wheel (365mm) with no airbag (380mm with airbag on GSR)
- No central locking and no radio-type keyless entry system
Technical Differences (RS Model)
- The RS model weighs in at 1260kg instead of the 1360kg for the GSR, although weight could be reduced further on the RS model by opting for the thinner gauge body, or by asking for a car minus the aerodynamic appendages.
RS packages were basically the same, although the optional wheel and tyre combinations were
naturally bigger, in line with the standard GSR fitment, and a crossmember support bar was added each time the larger wheels and tyres were specified.
- Quicker steering rack, 2.1 max turns (2.3 on the GSR)
- Option of either a normal open front differential or a helical gear Limited Slip Differential ('worm gear' type)
- Rear differential is a mechanical LSD